Ae fond kiss, and then we sever;Ae fareweel, alas, for ever!Deep in heart-wrung tears I'll pledge thee,Warring sighs and groans I'll wage thee.Who shall say that Fortune grieves him,While the star of hope she leaves him?Me, nae cheerful twinkle lights me;Dark despair around benights me.From Ae Fond Kiss
Robert Burns wrote this ode to unrequited love in 1791 (read the rest, and a snippet of scandalous backstory, here). As with all of Burns' best bits, his words are lovely to read, but better to listen to, especially when sung by the incomparable Eddi Reader.
Tonight is Burns Night, which means haggis for tea. To those of you who might balk at the idea of eating haggis, I have three things to say:
1. It's delicious.
2. What exactly do you think is inside a sausage?
3. Did I mention IT'S DELICIOUS?
Don't worry, though. If you really can't stomach it, vegetarian haggis is also, fortunately, delicious. Fun fact: my dad's friend invented vegetarian haggis. That's right, I move in exalted circles.
Anyone else celebrating Burns Night? And does anyone else get really quite upset when people cross their arms at the wrong bit of Auld Lang Syne, or - horrors - sing "for the sake of"...?
P.S. If haggis and poetry aren't your thing (in which case, we need to have a serious talk about our friendship), might I recommend this old but hilarious post by an altogether different Burns.
P.P.S. Thanks for all of your comments yesterday. You're the best.
Images by Chloe Aftel from this beautiful polaroid wedding over on east side bride.


0 comments:
Post a Comment