Pages

Vote for your favourite Geldof!


Just kidding. It's about my hair. Again.

I decided to grow the pixie crop out for Blonde Bridesmaid's wedding, because we were wearing long, floaty, purple gowns and I didn't want my head to look like a peanut perched on top of an aubergine. Understandable. So I grew it longer, into a short bob, and since then it has grown even longer, into a straggly mess.

Now it's getting beyond ridiculous. It badly needs cut. But the trouble is, I'm torn about which way to go. Pixie or bob? Bob or pixie? It's a DILEMMA. And I need your help.


PIXIE PROS:

Zero maintenance on a daily basis, which means a few minutes shaved off my morning routine, which means I can get to work that little bit earlier. HA. Not really. Sleep, precious sleep, I want moooorre.

I know it suits me. Nobody ever in my life complimented my cheekbones before I went for the crop. There's a reason the cut is called a pixie: it's a little bit magic.

According to this wonderful piece on short hair by Joan Juliet Buck, "short hair removes obvious femininity and replaces it with style," which can be both daunting and exhilarating. I try to aim for the latter.

PIXIE CONS:

High maintenance on a long-term basis. In other words, twelve weeks between cuts isn't going to fly, unless I want to rock the alpaca look.

Increased risk of looking like a middle-aged woman. Or a man. Or a lesbian. Or a middle-aged male lebian (Eddie Izzard, I'm looking at you).

Also according to Joan Juliet Buck, "short hair requires you to keep your weight slightly below acceptable levels." Bear in mind she was the editor of French Vogue, so we can only imagine what her idea of an "acceptable level" is. Fear this could disrupt my current cheese-eating schedule.


BOB PROS:

Change of scene. The trouble with a pixie is that, once it's on your head, it doesn't really *do* anything. It just sits there, being short. It gets a bit repetitive. I haven't had a full-on bob for nearly two years - time for a change?

I swear a bob makes you look French. Especially the all-one-length, jaw-skimming ones I've had my eye on. That could be because all the pictures I've been pinning are of French women, but surely that just proves my point? And everybody knows looking French is a key consideration in all matters sartorial.

Ponytails. I miss ponytails.

BOB CONS:

My hair is pretty fine, so the longer it is, the flatter it looks. When I used to have proper long hair, it basically looked like I'd draped a hair-coloured tea towel over my head.

 What, you mean I actually have to style my hair? Like, with a brush? What do you think I am, some kind of hairdresser?

Is a bob just the poor man's pixie? Is it for people who are too lazy to grow their hair and too scared to chop it all off? Would it be a cop-out? Am I over-thinking this? (Don't answer that last one.)

THIS IS WHERE YOU COME IN:

As you can probably tell from the above, I'm more torn than Natalie Imbruglia (who, interestingly, went for that messy pixie-bob hybrid. A third option? Wait, no, no more options!).

Bob or pixie?? Pixie or bob?? Please somebody just tell me what to do! Vote in the comments!!



Geldofs: Pixie Geldof by Alasdair McLellan for Vogue UK September 2009, Bob Geldof via herePixies: (Clockwise from top left) 1. Credit unknown 2. Mandy Coon by Shawn Brackbill for Wonderland 3. Credit unknown 4. Credit unknown, although Czech Marie Claire says it was in an exhibition at the Paris Musée Galeria. Bobs: 1. Ali Larter by Frazer Harrison via Style Bistro2. Et Pourquoi Pas Coline 3. Christian Dior Haute Couture S/S12 via here (that link is bobtastic) 4. EZGİ Kıramer for Blank Mag

Whew. Do I win some kind of prize?

0 comments:

Post a Comment