![]() |
| My shelves, one day soon. Livet Hemma via Pinterest |
Every day I get more and more excited about the idea of The Great Decluttering. (Note the use of the word "idea" - obviously, I am yet to put any of my plans into action. The excitement may be short-lived.) There are just so many amazing benefits that hadn't even occurred to me!
Key benefits include:
1. Dramatic reduction in number of emotional meltdowns triggered by opening the hall cupboard. (*shudder*)
2. Excuse to spend more quality time with the Hubster. Sorting piles of my stuff into new, different piles counts as quality time, right?
3. Real possibility that I might find in obscure and improbable places things that I had long written off as lost. Like my cookbook. Or my ability to remain fresh-faced after ten drinks and four hours' sleep.
4. Let's be honest, a rich and varied source of blog material. It's already been two posts in two days, and there's plenty more where that came from. It even has a tag of its very own. Be warned.
5. Lastly, and most excitingly, MORE SPACE. And do you know what more space means?
MORE STUFF.
MORE STUFF.
Oh yes, I am already mentally filling those soon-to-be-empty shelves and cupboards with lots of lovely goodies. But fear not, I have learned my lesson: no more useless cheap crap for me! (Except those, erm, £10 Asda shoes I bought the other day. But that was before I started The Great Decluttering, so they totally don't count.) From now on, I am channelling William Morris and choosing only that which I know to be useful or believe to be beautiful. And because I am now an adult, and have therefore developed the ability to exercise restraint and self-discipline and all that sort of adulty stuff, I have made a list (did I mention I love lists?) of said lovely goodies so I can weigh up the pros and cons, maybe even save up a little money first, instead of just rushing out and buying them. Go me.
So! Key lovely goodies include:
1. A wedding album from Lillian and Leonard
![]() |
| Image by Lillian and Leonard |
I knew revisiting all of our wedding photos last week would be a bad idea. Now I am lusting after these beautiful albums and wishing I could have one of my own in my hands so I could smell it. Yes, that's right, smell it. Soft leather and pristine pages all wrapped up in one pretty parcel - yum.
2. A fancypants camera
![]() |
| Limited edition camera print, $20, Michele Maule |
For our wedding anniversary, Fin and I gave each other gift vouchers (not the most imaginative interpretation of "paper anniversary", especially when they actually turned out to be gift cards, but never mind). His present to me was a voucher for a camera shop. The budget we set ourselves was small, and the little card is a long way short of being enough for a proper camera of my own, but it is a start, a first step towards bringing a little bit more creativity into my life.
Besides, I'm going to need to take some decent pictures of my soon-to-be empty shelves to show you. Lucky you!
3. A Catbird ring
![]() |
| Alphabet and heart rings, from $88, Catbird |
The story of my engagement ring is a whole saga in itself. Maybe one day I'll find a way to tell it to you that won't end up in me offending anyone. Suffice to say, I love it because it is my engagement ring, and no other ring could replace it, but occasionally I like to dabble in a wee game I call fantasy ring shopping. Some days I lust after huge diamond whoppers; other days, dainty vintage pieces. But the ring that always makes my heart the happiest is this little heart ring from the uber-cool Catbird NYC. One day it will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine.
4. A book about writing
![]() |
| Probably not this one though, although I do like that cover. |
Some of you have been kind enough to say that you like my writing. A couple of you have even urged me to write a book (most memorably Fin, who cannot be accused of underestimating my writing skillz). Well, there isn't much prospect of that happening any time soon, but I do love writing. Working to get better at something you love can never be a waste of time, so if anyone has any book recommendations for a language-loving grammar geek, please let me know.
5. A puppy!!
This, too, is a whooooole other post. And we haven't made any decisions yet. Fin and I have spent the evening vaccilating between cooing over pedigree puppies and welling up at tales of lop-eared rescue dogs who just want to be loved. We may not even get one at all (if you are my landlord, don't worry, we are definitely not getting ANY type of pet. Honest) but, secretly, I really hope we do. I will, of course, keep you posted.
What's on your lust list?
5. A puppy!!
![]() |
| Via Coton de Tuléar facebook group |
This, too, is a whooooole other post. And we haven't made any decisions yet. Fin and I have spent the evening vaccilating between cooing over pedigree puppies and welling up at tales of lop-eared rescue dogs who just want to be loved. We may not even get one at all (if you are my landlord, don't worry, we are definitely not getting ANY type of pet. Honest) but, secretly, I really hope we do. I will, of course, keep you posted.
What's on your lust list?






0 comments:
Post a Comment